Sunday, August 9, 2009

Lines Written on a Key Largo Bridge

Your shirt shone moon-white
on a night without moon
(we’d seen the stars rise instead)
and the gray in your hair fluttered
like fishing lines hooking the wind.

I hummed a song you didn’t know
as we ran our feet through the surf,
and even for the time of year,
the warmth of the waves surprised us.

But you didn’t touch me until later,
when we sat on the bridge,
and only then to point out a distant freighter.

“We would have missed it,” you whispered,
“had there been brighter lights in the sky.”

I looked, and felt self-conscious –
the ship shining
its obviousness so vainly
on the horizon.

You wouldn’t let me hold you.

I drifted then, buoyed through the night and stars,
everything departing and you
becoming a distant shore.
Only the smell of the sea grass
reminded me that I, not the ship,
was the land-bound, fixed point.

We stayed until sunrise
and drove the car home slowly.
You were afraid we’d crush crabs
blinded by the morning.

No comments: